Your Guide To The 2016 Vans US Open Of Surfing In Huntington Beach
Before reading on, carve 30 seconds out of your busy schedule and watch this year's US Open of Surfing teaser below. We promise it will get you stoked.
The Huntington Beach Pier will soon make a few new friends—actually, make that a few hundred thousand new friends. The 2016 Vans US Open of Surfing has already claimed the south side of the pier, marking the fourth straight year of the Orange County-based skate company manning the world's largest action sports festival. It formally kicks off on Saturday, July 23, and rips through Sunday, July 31.
With a continued focus on its core, the nine-day family-friendly, community-centric competition welcomes the world's biggest names in surfing, skate, and BMX. Roughly 300 world-class athletes and half a million spectators are expected to attend—not to mention more than a million webcast viewers. It's kind of a big deal. Here's a rundown of this year's happenings.
When // Sat, 7/23-Sun, 7/31.
Where // Huntington Beach Pier, Southside.
Most Radical Days // Fri, 7/29; Sat, 7/30; Sun, 7/31.
Cost // Free and open to the public.
What To Bring // Sunscreen / Water / Camera / Footwear / Sunglasses
What Not To Bring // Weapons of any kind / Alcoholic beverages / Pets / Controlled Substances / Beach Toys (footballs and frisbees) / A bad attitude
Official Hashtag // #vansusopen
Schedule // View the complete schedule of events here.
Viewing // HB Pier / Surf Stadium / Sand. All events can also be viewed from the comfort of your couch (or your favorite watering hole) via live webcast here.
Forecast // View the complete Surfline forecast here.
Transportation // Hop on the free Surf City USA Shuttle, which runs Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. between five different stops around town—including the pier. Special park and ride shuttles are running both weekends, departing every 30 minutes on the hour and half hour. Weekend 1 (July 23-24, Saturday-Sunday): 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., Huntington Beach High School (1905 Main Street, enter off Utica Avenue) and Edison High School (21400 Magnolia Street), last shuttle leaves downtown HB at 9:30 p.m. Weekend 2 (July 30-31, Saturday-Sunday): 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Huntington Beach Civic Center (2000 Main Street), last shuttle leaves downtown HB at 6:30 p.m. More shuttle information here. Details on parking and lodging here.
Big Brother Is Watching You: Check out the Huntington Beach Police Department's VUSOS Facebook message below.
- Stoke-O-Rama with the Gudauskus Brothers // Sat, 7/23, 9a-1p, 9th Street.
- House of Vans // Celebrating Vans' 50th anniversary, several creative workshops, classic games, and interactive activities led by artists, musicians, and athletes are planned throughout the week at Van Doren Village:
- DIY Sunglass Making w/ Kota Wade, Sun, 7/24, 1-3p
- Screenprinting Class w/ Micah Tompkins & Josh Ortega, Wed, 7/27, 11a-3p
- Guitar Lessons w/ Ray Barbee, Thurs, 7/28, 11a-noon + 2-3p
- Cartooning Workshop w/ Jay Howell & Travis Millard, Fri, 7/29, 1-3p
- DIY Sunglass Making w/ Kota Wade, Sat, 7/30, 1-3p
- College Drawing Workshop w/Sage Vaughn, Sun, 7/31, 11a-1p
- Vans Movie Nights // Pier Plaza Amphitheatre.
- Surfing Walk of Fame // Thurs, 7/28, 10-11a, Jack's.
- Surfer's Hall of Fame // Fri, 7/29, 10-11a, HSS.
- HSS Athlete Signings // TBD.
- Roxy Girls Wine Night // SeaLegs Wine Bar.
Schedule // View the complete schedule of events here—all of which take place at Surf Stadium.
Men's // TBD on Maui and Sons Arica Pro Tour, July 18-23.
Fun Fact // The Vans US Open of Surfing marks the sixth stop on the Samsung Galaxy World Surf League (WSL) Women's Championship Tour (CT), and a major stop in the Men's Qualifying Series.
What's on the line? Men's and women's first place prize purses of $100,000 and $60,000, respectively.
- Homegrown // Shout-out to local girl Courtney Conlogue, current frontrunner on the WSL Jeep Leaderboard!
- Vans Joel Tudor Duct Tape Invitational // Fri, 7/29, + Sat, 7/30. World’s most progressive longboarding contest.
- Women's Final // Sun, 7/31, TBD.
- Men's Final // Sun, 7/31, TBD.
- Awards // Sun, 7/31, TBD.
Schedule // View the complete schedule of events here—all of which take place at the Vans Pro Bowl.
Who's skating? See full lineups here.
What's on the line? $100,000 first place prize purse.
- Women's Pro Contest // Tues, 7/26, 3-6p.
- Vans Skate Team Autograph Signing // Thurs, 7/28, 1-2p.
- Men's Pro Final // Sat, 7/30, 5-5:45p.
- Skate Best Trick Contest // Sat, 7/30, 5:45-6p.
- Awards // Sat, 7/30, 6-6:15p.
Schedule // View the complete schedule of events here—which take place at the Amphitheater and Vans Pro Bowl.
Who's riding? 34 of today's most talented BMX riders. See the full lineup here.
What's on the line? $35,000 first place prize purse.
- Vans BMX Team Signing // Fri, 7/29, 3-4p
- Van Doren Invitational BMX Final // Sun, 7/31, 1:30-3p
- Van Doren Invitational BMX High Air // Sun, 7/31, 3-3:30p
- Van Doren Invitational BMX Awards // Sun, 7/31, 3:30-3:45p