Huntington Beach Then & Now: Down At The Drive-In
THEN // As Ron Pierce wrote on the website Cinema Treasures: "The Warner Drive-In, Orange County's seventh drive-in built since 1941, opened quietly on June 29, 1961, with just a small ad announcing its attractions, "The Wackiest Ship in the Army" and "They Came to Cordova." In later listings it shared billing under the Family Drive-In Theatre with the Lincoln Drive-In, formerly the Cina-Car (375 cars), which opened in the late-1940s as the county's second-built drive-in. Both theaters charged $1.50 a carload for second-run movies, but their fare improved after they became Pacific drive-ins on February 14, 1962. In fact, every county drive-in that started as an independent eventually was under the Pacific Theatre banner. The 600-car Warner's last day of operation was in October of 1984, and, as usual, retail stores were later built on the site."
NOW // Today, the growth of Huntington Beach is especially evident. Ocean View High School can be seen around the intersection of Warner and Gothard, near the center of each image, and the drive-in has been filled in with an industrial park.