Photos, Video: Vans US Open Of Surfing Day 7 Highlights
Day 7 of the nine-day 2015 Vans US Open of Surfing saw 24 Men's Qualifying Series (QS) 10,000 surfers battle it out in Round 3, along with the Men's Pro Junior Semifinals, Vans Joel Tudor Duct Tape Invitational Quarterfinals and Semifinals, Men's Skate Qualifiers, and BMX Prelims. Here are the highlights via VUSOS, plus a preview of Day 8.
- Defending event winner Filipe Toledo (BRA) put on a clinic and opened up with a huge air rotation for a near-perfect 9.67, the highest single-wave score of the event. He quickly backed it up with another excellent 9 for an impressive 18.67 heat total. Opponents Alex Ribeiro (BRA) and former CT competitor Artiz Aranburu (ESP) fought for second place, but couldn’t match the fleet-footed Brazilian, whose beach-break prowess was too much to overcome.
- Local standout Kanoa Igarashi (USA) found himself in third place at the halfway mark of Heat 2, despite a heat high 8.27. Opponents Joan Duru (FRA) and Michael Rodrigues (BRA), currently 4th and 12th respectively on the QS rankings, both went to the air to better their scorelines. Igarashi was able to find a gem with just over ten minutes remaining for a 6.83 and the lead and improved it with a 7.83 for a convincing win.
- Tim Reyes (USA) upset Top 34 surfer Freddy Patacchia (HAW) and former CT competitor Mitch Crews (AUS) in Heat 3 with patience and composure, finding two solid scores on his final two waves. Crews, who claimed second place, will join Reyes in Heat 4 while Patacchia is eliminated from competition.
- Maxime Huscenot (FRA) stormed through his heat against South African Beyrick De Vries (ZAF) and CT surfer Miguel Pupo (BRA). Huscenot’s rail game and a pair of eight-point rides secured the win and a place in Round 4, equaling his best result of the year.
- Tanner Hendrickson (HAW) tore into a lefthander, riding it all the way through to the north side of the pier for an excellent 9.33 on his opening ride and an early lead over Kolohe Andino (USA) and Dion Atkinson (AUS). The Hawaiian maintained the top spot, and advanced to Round 4 along with CT surfer Andino.
- Following QS action the Men’s Pro Junior Semifinalists were decided with the first and second placed surfer from each Quarterfinal moving on in the competition.
- A stacked heat saw South African standout Dylan Lightfoot (ZAF) put on a dominant display and deliver the highest heat total of the Quarterfinals, 16.33, to secure a Semifinal berth. Igarashi, who stormed through Round 3 of the Men’s QS event earlier in the day, will join Lightfoot in the Semifinals.
- Cam Richards (USA) took a solid win in Quarterfinal 2, taking to the air multiple times. Richards opened his campaigned with a big frontside air reverse for an 8.27 and followed it up quickly with another aerial maneuver. Close behind was Hiroto Arai (JPN) who will also advance.
- Seth Moniz (HAW), Kalani David (HAW), Griffin Colapinto (USA) and Soli Bailey (AUS) round out the Semifinalists.
- To conclude the day the Vans Joel Tudor Duct Tape Invitational presented by Pacifico ran through the Quarterfinals and Semifinals, with Kai Ellice-Flint (USA), Tommy Witt (USA), Justin Quintal (USA) and Troy Mothershead (USA) winning through to the Final.
- It was mental at the Vans Pro Bowl during the men's skate Qualifiers today. Great action from beginning to end as 32 skaters battled to continue alive in the competition. The Top 10 from today advanced to the Semi-finals where they will meet the 10 prequalified skaters. See the results here.
- Heavy shredding happened at the Vans Pro Bowl for the opening day of the BMX event. The Top 15 advanced to the Finals, where they'll meet the Top 5 finishers from 2014.
Day 8 Preview
Competition kicks off on Saturday at 7:30 a.m. with Men's Round 4, followed by the Men's and Women's Pro Junior Semifinals and Finals and the Vans Joel Tudor Duct Tape Invitational Final (match-ups below). Men's Skate Finals hit the Bowl at 3 p.m., and BMX picks back up on Sunday at 11:15 a.m. for the Finals.
Men's QS 10,000 Round 4 Match-Ups:
- Heat 1: Nathan Yeomans (USA) vs. Michael Rodrigues (BRA)
- Heat 2: Kanoa Igarashi (USA) vs. Adam Melling (AUS)
- Heat 3: Tim Reyes (USA) vs. Ryan Callinan (AUS)
- Heat 4: Hiroto Ohhara (JPN) vs. Mitch Crews (AUS)
- Heat 5: Filipe Toledo (BRA) vs. Beyrick De Vries (ZAF)
- Heat 6: Maxime Huscenot (FRA) vs. Alex Ribeiro (BRA)
- Heat 7: Tanner Hendrickson (HAW) vs. Billy Stairmand (NZL)
- Heat 8: Tomas Hermes (BRA) vs. Kolohe Andino (USA)
Men's Pro Junior Semifinal Match-Ups:
- SF 1: Seth Moniz (HAW), Kalani David (HAW), Cam Richards (USA), Hiroto Arai (JPN)
- SF 2: Griffin Colapinto (USA), Soli Bailey (AUS), Dylan Lightfoot (ZAF), Kanoa Igarashi (USA)