Photos, Video: Vans US Open Of Surfing Day 2 Highlights
Sunday saw rippable three- to five-foot surf, onshore winds, and a wrap of the 48-man Trials for the 2015 Vans US Open of Surfing. Kalani David (HAW) and Miguel Tudela (PER) emerged victorious after vying for the two highly-coveted wildcard spots into the World Surf League (WSL) Qualifying Series (QS) 10,000, kicking off on Monday. Here are the highlights.
- Hawaiian Kalani David built momentum throughout the day, advancing in second position in both his Round 1 and Round 2 heats this morning before finding his form in Round 3 and finishing the Final with a win. The young natural-footer secured a near-perfect 9.87 out of a possible 10 on his backhand during the Semifinals.
- David faces defending event winner Filipe Toledo (BRA), Tanner Gudauskas (USA) and Cooper Chapman (AUS) in tomorrow's Round 1.
- Peru's Miguel Tudela has spent the past two years emerging onto the world stage as one of the planet's most versatile surfers. As adept on 30-foot waves as he is pushing the boundaries of aerial surfing, Tudela's runner-up finish today earns the young goofy-footer a place into the main event tomorrow.
- Tudela faces Adriano de Souza (BRA), Heitor Alves (BRA) and Mitch Crews (AUS) in Round 1 of competition.
- In skate news, SoCal Skate Shop reigned victorious in the Shop Battle, scoring the $6,000 prize purse. Nine of California's best skate shops competed on Sunday.
Round 1 of the Vans US Open of Surfing commences Monday at 7:30 a.m., followed by Junior Women's Surf Round 1 and Quarterfinals, Women's Skate Practice, Industry Skate Day, and a Flatland BMX Demo. Catch a screening of "Surf's Up" at 7:30 p.m. BMX practice begins on Wednesday.