Your Guide To The 2015 Vans US Open Of Surfing In Huntington Beach
Before reading on, carve 45 seconds out of your busy schedule and watch this year's US Open of Surfing teaser below. We promise it will get you stoked.
The Huntington Beach Pier will soon make a few new friends—actually, make that a few hundred thousand new friends. The 2015 Vans US Open of Surfing has already claimed the south side of the pier, marking the third straight year of the Orange County skate company manning the world's largest action sports festival. It formally kicks off on Saturday, July 25, and rips through Sunday, August 2.
With a continued focus on its core, the nine-day family-friendly, community-centric competition welcomes the world's biggest names in surfing, skate, and BMX. Roughly 300 world-class athletes and half a million spectators are expected to attend—not to mention more than a million webcast viewers. It's kind of a big deal. Here's a rundown of this year's happenings.
When: Sat, 7/25-Sun, 8/2.
Where: Huntington Beach Pier.
Most Radical Days: Fri, 7/31; Sat, 8/1; Sun, 8/2.
Cost: Free and open to the public.
What To Bring: Sunscreen / Water / Camera / Footwear / Sunglasses
What Not To Bring: Weapons of any kind / Alcoholic beverages / Pets / Controlled Substances / Beach Toys (footballs and frisbees) / A bad attitude
Official Hashtag: #vansusopen
Schedule: View the complete schedule of events here.
Viewing: HB Pier / Surf Stadium / Sand. All events can also be viewed from the comfort of your couch (or your favorite watering hole) via live webcast here.
Forecast: View the complete forecast, courtesy of Surfline Head Forecaster Kevin Wallace, here.
Transportation: Hop on the free Surf City USA shuttle, which runs Friday (10a-10p), Saturday (10a-10p), and Sunday (10a-8p) between five different stops around town—including the pier. More shuttle information here. Details on parking and lodging here.
Sustainability: This year promises to be more ocean-friendly as a Deep Blue Surfing Event, which strives to reduce the environmental impact of a pro surfing contest and provide social benefits for the local community. Full details here.
Big Brother Is Watching You: Check out the Huntington Beach Police Department's VUSOS Facebook message below.
- Vans Movie Nights // "Surf's Up", Mon, 7/27, 7-9p; "Back to the Future", Tues, 7/28, 7-9p; "Propeller", Wed, 7/29, 7-9p (first-ever Vans skateboard video). Screenings take place at the Pier Plaza Amphitheater and include free popcorn and gelato.
- Surfing Hall of Fame // Thurs, 7/30, 10-11a, in front of Duke's.
- SeaLegs Wine Bar Celebrity Winetenders Week // Tues, 7/28-Sun, 8/2. Complete details here.
- Free Lemonade // Daily, noon-1 p.m., courtesy of Fiat.
- HSS Athlete Signings // Schedule below.
Schedule: View the complete schedule of events here—all of which take place at Surf Stadium.
- Women's: Defending 2014 women's champion Tyler Wright (AUS), Stephanie Gilmore (USA), Laura Enever (USA), Lakey Petersen (USA), Malia Manuel (HAW), Dimity Stoyle (AUS), Carissa Moore (HAW), Silvana Lima (BRA), Courtney Conlogue (USA), Johanne Defay (FRA), Sage Erickson (USA), Sally Fitzgibbons (AUS), Coco Ho (HAW), Alessa Quizon (HAW), Bianca Buitendag (ZAF), Tatiana Weston-Webb (HAW), and Nikki Van Dijk (AUS), and more.
- Men's: Defending 2014 men's champion Filipe Toledo (BRA), Kolohe Andino (USA), John John Florence (HAW), Mitch Crews (AUS), Alejo Muniz (AUS), Robson Santos (ARG), Taumata Puhetini (POL), Joshua Moniz (HAW), Taj Burrow (AUS), Alex Ribeiro (BRA), Joel Centeio (HAW), Yujiro Tsuji (JAP), Luel Felipe (BRA), Jesse Mendes (BRA), Michael Dunphy (USA), Tanner Gudauskas (USA), Leonardo Fioravanti (ITA), Gabe Kling (USA), Jadson Andre (POR), and more.
Fun Fact: The Vans US Open of Surfing marks a key midseason stop on the World Surf League Women's Championship Tour, and a major stop in the Men's Qualifying Series.
What's on the line? Men's and women's first place prize purses of $100,000 and $60,000, respectively.
- Vans Joel Tudor Duct Tape Invitational // Fri, 7/31, + Sat, 8/1. Teaser video above.
- Women's Final // Sun, 8/2, 12-12:35p.
- Men's Final // Sun, 8/2, 12:35-1:10p.
- Awards // Sun, 8/2, 1:10-1:30p.
Schedule: View the complete schedule of events here—all of which take place at the Vans Pro Bowl.
What's on the line? $100,000 first place prize purse.
- Shop Battle // Sun, 7/26, 2-5p.
- Open Skate & Industry Skate // Mon, 7/27, 4-6p.
- Women's Skate Contest // Tues, 7/28, 3-5p.
- VANS Skate Team Autograph Signing // Thurs, 7/30, 12-1p.
- Van Doren Invitational // Fri, 7/31, 4-6p + Sat, 8/1, 3-6p.
- Awards // Sat, 8/1, 6-6:15p.
Schedule: View the complete schedule of events here—which take place at the Amphitheater and Vans Pro Bowl.
Who's riding? 34 of today's most talented BMX riders. See the full lineup here.
What's on the line? $35,000 first place prize purse.
- VANS BMX Team Autograph Signing // Fri, 7/31, 3-4p
- Van Doren Invitational BMX Final // Sun, 8/2, 11:15a-12:15p
- High Air Contest // Sun, 8/2, 12:20-12:30p
- Awards // Sun, 8/2, 12:30-12:35p