DAY 8 RECAP // MATT BANTING AND BAILEY NAGY WIN PRO JUNIOR; JUSTIN QUINTAL WINS JOEL TUDOR DUCT TAPE INVITATIONAL
Rehash: Matt Banting and Bailey Nagy have won the Association of Surfing Professionals (ASP) 2-Star Vans US Open Pro Junior. In addition, the Women's Semifinalists for the Vans US Open of Surfing, the sixth stop on the ASP Women's World Championship Tour (WCT), and the Men's Quarterfinalist for the ASP Qualifications Series (QS) Prime event, have been set for tomorrow's finale. The celebrated Van Doren Invitational skate contest brought unprecedented talent to the finals, only to crown the unstoppable Raven Tershy as the champion, earning the $25,000 grand prize and custom-designed Fender guitar. Joining Tershy on the podium is Charlie Blaire in second for $15,000 and Murillo Peres in third, for $10,000.
Conditions: Peaky one-to-three foot waves.
- Matt Banting (AUS), 19, who is still competing in the men's main event, claimed the Vans US Open Pro Junior with last-second heroics. The Australian posted an excellent 9.00 score on a Pierbowl right, vaulting the Australian from last to first over fellow Finalists Cam Richards (Garden City Beach, SC), 19, Joshua Moniz (Honolulu, HI), 18, and Miguel Tudela (PER), 19.
- Bailey Nagy (North Shore, Oahu), 18, grabbed the lead early in the 30 minute final and held poll position throughout the heat’s entirety despite the valiant efforts of fellow finalists Mahina Maeda (North Shore, Oahu), 16, Brianna Cope (Koloa, Kauai), 18, and Meah Collins (Newport Beach, CA), 14. The Vans US Open Pro Junior win marks the biggest victory of the young Hawaiian’s career.
- Malia Manuel (HAW), 20, current ASP Women’s World No. 5, matched her season-high result, trumping rookie Nikki Van Dijk (AUS), 19, while advancing to the Semifinals where she will face Tyler Wright (AUS), 20.
- Tyler Wright clashed against defending event champion and current World No. 1 Carissa Moore (HAW), 21, and the Australian was in rhythm from start to finish despite wave-starved conditions. The Australian collected a round-high 15.93 (out of a possible 20) heat total in the process.
- Sally Fitzgibbons (AUS), 23, current ASP World No. 2 and 2011 US Open winner, made crucial ground on the ASP World Title Race following Moore's stumble. The Australian bested rookie Johanne Defay (FRA), 20, to claim the win and a Semifinals berth.
- Fitzgibbons will face off against five-time ASP Women's World Champion Stephanie Gilmore (AUS), 26, in the Semifinals. The 2007 event winner, made the most of the small Huntington Beach conditions, combining critical backhand snaps for a victory over dangerous Californian Lakey Peterson (USA), 19.
- Maxime Huscenot (FRA), 22, 2009 ASP World Junior Champion, continued his breakout performance of the season, topping WCT rookie Mitch Crews (AUS), 24, while advancing to the Quarterfinals.
- Willian Cardoso (BRA), 28, posted the day's second upset, defeating Gold Coast flyboy Josh Kerr (AUS), 30, with a last-minute heat win.
- Brett Simpson (USA), 29, two-time US Open Champion, claimed a crucial Round 5 victory in a wave starved heat against fellow ASP Top 34 member Bede Durbidge (AUS), 31. The local hero started strong with an 8.60, but could not find a backup ride until the dying minutes of the heat. Simpson rode only two waves in his victory over the Australian.
VANS US OPEN OF SURFING WOMEN'S QUARTERFINAL RESULTS:
Quarterfinal 1: Malia Manuel (HAW) 10.00 def. Nikki Van Dijk (AUS) 5.43
Quarterfinal 2: Tyler Wright (AUS) 15.93 def. Carissa Moore (HAW) 11.93
Quarterfinal 3: Sally Fitzgibbons (AUS) 9.33 def. Johanne Defay (FRA) 4.66
Quarterfinal 4: Stephanie Gilmore (AUS) 11.80 def. Lakey Peterson (USA) 10.03
VANS US OPEN OF SURFING WOMEN'S SEMIFINAL MATCH-UPS:
Semifinal 1: Malia Manuel (HAW) vs. Tyler Wright (AUS)
Semifinal 2: Sally Fitzgibbons (AUS) vs. Stephanie Gilmore (AUS)
VANS US OPEN OF SURFING MEN'S ROUND 5 RESULTS:
Heat 1: Maxime Huscenot (FRA) 14.87 def. Mitch Crews (AUS) 11.50
Heat 2: Willian Cardoso (BRA) 12.23 def. Josh Kerr (AUS) 11.17
Heat 3: Adam Melling (AUS) 11.63 def. Charles Martin (GLP) 11.33
Heat 4: Jordy Smith (ZAF) 17.17 def. Keanu Asing (HAW) 14.63
Heat 5: Matt Banting (AUS) 16.00 def. Jadson Andre (BRA) 13.97
Heat 6: Filipe Toledo (BRA) 17.23 def. Jonathan Gonzalez (CNY) 13.40
Heat 7: Brett Simpson (USA) 13.53 def. Bede Durbidge (AUS) 12.53
Heat 8: Garrett Parkes (AUS) 14.08 def. Kolohe Andino (USA) 12.60
VANS US OPEN OF SURFING MEN'S QUARTERFINAL MATCH-UPS:
Quarterfinal 1: Maxime Huscenot (FRA) vs. Willian Cardoso (BRA)
Quarterfinal 2: Adam Melling (AUS) vs. Jordy Smith (ZAF)
Quarterfinal 3: Matt Banting (AUS) vs. Filipe Toledo (BRA)
Quarterfinal 4: Brett Simpson (USA) vs. Garrett Parkes (AUS)
VANS US OPEN OF SURFING MEN'S PRO JUNIOR FINAL:
1 - Matt Banting (AUS) 14.83
2 - Cam Richards (USA) 14.54
3 - Joshua Moniz (HAW) 11.97
4 - Miguel Tudela (PER) 10.53
VANS US OPEN OF SURFING MEN'S PRO JUNIORS SEMIFINAL RESULTS:
Semifinal 1: Matt Banting (AUS) 14.00, Cam Richards (USA) 11.20, Skip McCullough (USA) 10.37, Luan Wood (BRA) 8.87
Semifinal 2: Miguel Tudela (PER) 15.43, Joshua Moniz (HAW) 13.86, Yago Dora (BRA) 10.25, Nic Hdez (USA) 7.33
VANS US OPEN OF SURFING WOMEN’S PRO JUNIOR FINAL:
1 - Bailey Nagy (HAW) 14.17
2 - Mahina Maeda (HAW) 13.87
3 - Brianna Cope (HAW) 11.63
4 - Meah Collins (USA) 11.63