It's August. It's Friday. And it's Day 7 of the 2014 Vans US Open of Surfing. There are only three days left of the nine-day competition, and Friday's fun rages on into the night with the world premiere of the Vans surf flick "Get-N Classic 3" from 8 to 10 p.m. in front of the Shorebreak Hotel. Check out our complete event guide to keep in the know, and remember if you can't sink your feet into the sand, you can sink your buttocks into your couch and watch via live webcast here for surf, here for skate and here for BMX. Here's what happened on Thursday, Day 6, courtesy of the US Open of Surfing.
DAY 6 RECAP // WOMEN'S QUARTERFINALISTS CONFIRMED
Rehash: Women's quarterfinalists were decided, and Men's Prime action returned for the non-elimination round of 24. Winners of the round vault directly to the round of 16, while second and third are sent to a repechage round.
Conditions: Peaky two-to-three foot waves.
- Nikki Van Dijk, 19, of Australia, matches the best result of her rookie season, besting replacement surfer Tatiana Weston-Webb, 20, of Hawaii, by a score of 12.90 to 12.50.
- Current ASP World No. 4 Tyler Wright, 20, of Australia, is in devastating form against Laura Enever, 22, of Australia. Wright proves to be the standout of the round, quickly belting an excellent 9.00 for a series of committed turns followed by a clean frontside air for an 8.67. Wright's efforts leaves Enever in a combination situation, and she secures a convincing Quarterfinals berth.
- Johanne Defay, 20, of France, finds her way to the Quarterfinals once again in Huntington Beach. She engages in a seesaw battle with Kiwi Paige Hareb, 24, of New Zealand, but a 7.77 earned in the back half of the heat for a series of backhand turns proves enough for the win.
- 2012 US Open Champion Lakey Peterson, 19, of USA, takes a Quarterfinals slot over Dimity Stoyle, 22, of Australia, who leaves the competition in equal 9th place.
- Mitch Crews, 24, of Australia, puts together a full repertoire of carves, snaps and airs on the rights off of Huntington Beach Pier, propelling the Australian up-and-comer to the Round of 16 over fellow Dream Tour campaigner Josh Kerr, 30, of Australia, and past ASP World Junior Champion Maxime Huscenot, 22, of France.
- Current No. 28 on the WCT Jadson Andre, 24, of Brazil, dominates his Round 3 affair. The small-wave shaman looks lively in the beachbreak conditions, unloading electric combinations on both his forehand and backhand for the round's high heat total of 17.97 out of 20.
- Current No. 6 on the ASP QS Keanu Asing, 21, of Hawaii, contributes to the next generation's success, earning an excellent 9.00 and backup of 7.73, advancing to the Round of 16.
VANS US OPEN OF SURFING WOMEN'S ROUND 4 RESULTS:
Heat 1: Nikki Van Dijk (AUS) 12.90 def. Tatiana Weston-Webb (HAW) 12.50
Heat 2: Tyler Wright (AUS) 17.67 def. Laura Enever (AUS) 9.13
Heat 3: Johanne Defay (FRA) 14.10 def. Paige Lareb (NZL) 11.03
Heat 4: Lakey Peterson (USA) 15.44 def. Dimity Stoyle (AUS) 11.83
VANS US OPEN OF SURFING WOMEN'S QUARTERFINAL MATCH-UPS:
Quarterfinal 1: Malia Manuel (HAW) vs. Nikki Van Dijk (AUS)
Quarterfinal 2: Carissa Moore (HAW) vs. Tyler Wright (AUS)
Quarterfinal 3: Sally Fitzgibbons (AUS) vs. Johanne Defay (FRA)
Quarterfinal 4: Stephanie Gilmore (AUS) vs. Lakey Peterson (USA)
VANS US OPEN OF SURFING MEN'S ROUND 3 RESULTS:
Heat 1: Mitch Crews (AUS) 15.60, Maxime Huscenot (FRA) 14.36, Josh Kerr (AUS) 10.00
Heat 2: Willian Cardoso (BRA) 17.20, Beyrick De Vries (ZAF) 8.93, Tim Reyes (USA) 6.23
Heat 3: Charles Martin (GLP) 11.33, Adam Melling (AUS) 11.06, Jordy Smith (ZAF) 10.83
Heat 4: Keanu Asing (HAW) 16.73, Aritz Aranburu (ESP) 14.27, Bino Lopes (BRA) 9.23
Heat 5: Jadson Andre (BRA) 17.97, Matt Banting (AUS) 13.83, Michael Dunphy (USA) 13.40
Heat 6: Jonathan Gonzalez (CNY) 14.06, Filipe Toledo (BRA) 13.50, Kanoa Igarashi (USA) 9.50
Heat 7: Bede Durbidge (AUS) 14.77, Brett Simpson (USA) 14.43, Ryan Callinan (AUS) 9.50
Heat 8: Kolohe Andino (USA) 11.60, Garrett Parkes (AUS) 10.27, Peterson Crisanto (BRA) 8.83
VANS US OPEN OF SURFING MEN'S ROUND 4 MATCH-UPS:
Heat 1: Maxime Huscenot (FRA) vs. Tim Reyes (USA)
Heat 2: Josh Kerr (AUS) vs. Beyrick De Vries (ZAF)
Heat 3: Adam Melling (AUS) vs. Bino Lopes (BRA)
Heat 4: Aritz Aranburu (ESP) vs. Jordy Smith (ZAF)
Heat 5: Matt Banting (AUS) vs. Kanoa Igarashi (USA)
Heat 6: Filipe Toledo (BRA) vs. Michael Dunphy (USA)
Heat 7: Brett Simpson (USA) vs. Peterson Crisanto (BRA)
Heat 8: Garrett Parkes (AUS) vs. Ryan Callinan (AUS)
MEN'S PRO JUNIOR QUARTERFINALS RESULTS:
QF 1: Cam Richards (USA) 14.00, Skip McCullough (USA) 12.30, Jake Davis (USA) 12.20, Kanoa Igarashi (USA) 8.57
QF 2: Matt Banting (AUS) 14.53, Luan Wood (BRA) 14.50, Dylan Lightfoot (ZAF) 11.17, Koa Smith (HAW) 7.26
QF 3: Miguel Tudela (PER) 13.00, Yago Dora (BRA) 10.10, Taylor Clark (USA) 7.13, Kevin Schulz (USA) 4.07
QF 4: Joshua Moniz (HAW) 17.23, Nic Hdez (USA) 12.54, Jake Kelley (USA) 10.84, Jake Halstead (USA) 7.90