Then // The Los Patos water tower was built in 1939 and was situated on the bluff near Warner Avenue overlooking Pacific Coast Highway and the wetlands. As historian Chris Jepsen detailed: "Los Patos was a stop for the Pacific Electric's 'Red Cars' and served mainly as a drop-off point for hunters on their way to the area's many duck clubs. ('Los Patos' means 'the ducks' in Spanish.) Until sometime in the 1960s, the stretch of Warner Avenue between the bluffs and the beach was also called Los Patos Street. In fact, at the top of the bluffs, a small stretch of Los Patos Street still remains." This "then" shot dates back to the early 1980s.
Now // The water tower disappeared around 1998. Today the street is a dead end, and a house sits at the corner of Los Patos and Marina View Place where the tower once stood. At least there is still an ocean view.
Click on the images above for fullscreen viewing.
More "Then & Now"