With Day 5 of the nine-day 2014 Vans US Open of Surfing behind us and Day 6 drawing to a close, only three days remain of the world's largest surfing event. Head down to the Huntington Beach Pier to catch the action live, or tune in via live webcast. Here's what went down on Wednesday, courtesy of the US Open of Surfing.
DAY 5 RECAP // ASP WORLD TITLE CONTENDERS LEAD SURF COMPETITION
Rehash: Day 5 sees men's Round 2 and Women's rounds 2 and 3. The field of 18 was narrowed to 12, and top ASP World Title threats advanced directly to the Quarterfinals.
Conditions: Peaky two-to-four foot surf.
- Current World No. 5 Malia Manuel, 20, of Hawaii, commands Rounds 2 and 3, winning the day's highest scores. She collects a 15.17 two-wave heat total in Round 2 in a victory against wildcard Leila Hurst, 20, of Hawaii, and a near-perfect 9.67 in Round 3, securing a Quarterfinals berth.
- 2011 US Open Champion and current World No. 2 Sally Fitzgibbons, 23, of Australia, continues her successful run in Huntington Beach, besting rookies Dimity Stoyle, 22, of Australia, and Johanne Defay, 20, of France, while posting a Round 3 win.
- Stephanie Gilmore, 26, of Australia, dominates in Round 3 for another convincing heat win.
- Current No. 2 on the QS Matt Banting, 19, of Australia, continues his hot streak, topping Filipe Toledo, 18, of Brazil, Dane Reynolds, 28, of USA, and Cory Arrambide, 24, of USA, with a big Round 2 heat victory.
- Jonathan Gonzalez, 33, of Spain, trounces his Round 2 heat with a commanding run from start-to-finish, securing a spot in Round 3.
- Vans US Open of Surfing wildcard Kanoa Igarashi, 16, of Huntington Beach, takes an impressive Round 2 win, beating out WCT surfers Jadson Andre, 24, of Brazil, Travis Logie, 33, of South Africa, and Jake Halstead, 20, of La Jolla, CA.
VANS US OPEN OF SURFING WOMEN'S ROUND 2 RESULTS:
Heat 1: Johanne Defay (FRA) 13.44 def. Alessa Quizon (HAW) 11.83
Heat 2: Paige Hareb (NZL) 13.76 def. Coco Ho (HAW) 13.43
Heat 3: Malia Manuel (HAW) 15.17 def. Leila Hurst (HAW) 6.67
Heat 4: Tatiana Weston-Webb (HAW) 14.67 def. Bianca Buitendag (ZAF) 13.97
Heat 5: Laura Enever (AUS) 12.67 def. Alana Blanchard (HAW) 11.00
Heat 6: Nikki Van Dijk (AUS) 11.43 def. Pauline Ado (FRA) 8.10
VANS US OPEN OF SURFING WOMEN'S ROUND 3 RESULTS:
Heat 1: Malia Manuel (HAW) 18.13, Tatiana Weston-Webb (HAW) 10.93, Tyler Wright (AUS) 7.77
Heat 2: Carissa Moore (HAW) 13.37, Laura Enever (AUS) 9.00, Nikki Van Dijk (AUS) 7.10
Heat 3: Sally Fitzgibbons (AUS) 14.03, Johanne Defay (FRA) 9.10, Dimity Stoyle (AUS) 3.00
Heat 4: Stephanie Gilmore (AUS) 14.16, Lakey Peterson (USA) 12.50, Paige Hareb (NZL) 11.10
VANS US OPEN OF SURFING WOMEN'S ROUND 4 MATCH-UPS:
Heat 1: Tatiana Weston-Webb (HAW) vs. Nikki Van Dijk (AUS)
Heat 2: Tyler Wright (AUS) vs. Laura Enever (AUS)
Heat 3: Johanne Defay (FRA) vs. Paige Lareb (NZL)
Heat 4: Dimity Stoyle (AUS) vs. Lakey Peterson (USA)
VANS US OPEN OF SURFING MEN'S ROUND 2 RESULTS:
Heat 7: Matt Banting (AUS) 14.87, Filipe Toledo (BRA) 12.94, Dane Reynolds (USA) 11.33, Cory Arrambide (USA) 10.26
Heat 8: Jonathan Gonzalez (CNY) 14.50, Michael Dunphy (USA) 13.93, Alex Ribeiro (BRA) 13.07, Carlos Munoz (CRI) 12.63
Heat 9: Kanoa Igarashi (USA) 14.53, Jadson Andre (BRA) 13.77, Travis Logie (ZAF) 13.67, Jake Halstead (USA) 11.16
Heat 10: Bede Durbidge (AUS) 15.30, Garrett Parkes (AUS) 15.26, Julian Wilson (AUS) 14.27, Granger Larsen (HAW) 14.10
Heat 11: Ryan Callinan (AUS) 16.50, Peterson Crisanto (BRA) 12.40, Mason Ho (HAW) 10.58, Santiago Muniz (ARG) 10.43
Heat 12: Kolohe Andino (USA) 15.93, Brett Simpson (USA) 12.63, Hizunome Bettero (BRA) 10.67, Sebastian Zietz (HAW)
VANS US OPEN OF SURFING MEN'S ROUND 3 MATCH-UPS:
Heat 1: Josh Kerr (AUS), Mitch Crews (AUS), Maxime Huscenot (FRA)
Heat 2: Beyrick De Vries (ZAF), Tim Reyes (USA), Willian Cardoso (BRA)
Heat 3: Jordy Smith (ZAF), Adam Melling (AUS), Charles Martin (GLP)
Heat 4: Keanu Asing (HAW), Aritz Aranburu (ESP), Bino Lopes (BRA)
Heat 5: Matt Banting (AUS), Michael Dunphy (USA), Jadson Andre (BRA)
Heat 6: Jonathan Gonzalez (CNY), Filipe Toledo (BRA), Kanoa Igarashi (USA)
Heat 7: Bede Durbidge (AUS), Brett Simpson (USA), Ryan Callinan (AUS)
Heat 8: Kolohe Andino (USA), Garrett Parkes (AUS), Peterson Crisanto (BRA)