Today marks Day 5 of the nine-day 2014 Vans US Open of Surfing, the event that takes over the south side of the Huntington Beach Pier and, well, all of downtown in the process. The competition so far has seen some world-class shredding, as well as its fair share of upsets. In case you haven't been following along from the sand or via the live webcast, here's a look at what happened on Day 4 (Tuesday, July 29) courtesy of the US Open of Surfing.
Day 4 Recap // Women's Round 1 // Men's Prime Round 1 // Van Doren Women's Invitational
Rehash: The world's top female surfers hit the water for their first round of competition, the Men's Prime competition saw Round 2 and the Van Doren Women's Invitational shredded the Concrete Bowl.
Conditions: Peaky one-to-three foot surf.
- ASP Women's World Champion and former US Open winner Stephanie Gilmore, 26, of Australia, shreds hard despite a lack of waves, capitalizing on excellent wave selection. She posts the day's highest two-wave heat total of 15.77 (out of a possible 20) for the win.
- Reigning two-time ASP Women's World Champion and defending Vans US Open of Surfing Champion Carissa Moore, 21, of Hawaii, claims a Round 1 win, securing a Round 3 berth.
- ASP WCT rookie and current World No. 8 Dimity Stoyle, 22, of Australia, takes a heat win over top seed Malia Manuel, 21, of Hawaii, and Johanne Defay, 20, of France.
- 2012 US Open Champion Lakey Peterson, 19, of USA, scores a commanding Round 1 win over Bianca Buitendag, 20, of South Africa, and Nikki Van Dijk, 19, of Australia.
- Current No. 39 on the QS Beyrick De Vries, 21, of South Africa, belts the highest score of competition. He smashes a near-perfect 9.23 en route to a 16.40 heat total.
- Willian Cardoso, 28, of Brazil, posts an excellent 17.20 heat-total, propelling him to a Round 2 win.
- Reigning champion and Vans rider Lizzie Armanto wins the Van Doren Women's Invitational, scoring the $5,000 prize. Check out the finals results here and qualifiers results here.
VANS US OPEN OF SURFING WOMEN'S ROUND 1 RESULTS:
Round 1: Dimity Stoyle (AUS) 14.03, Malia Manuel (HAW) 12.97, Johanne Defay (FRA) 10.75
Round 2: Tyler Wright (AUS) 13.16, Paige Hareb (NZL) 6.53, Laura Enever (AUS) 5.86
Round 3: Carissa Moore (HAW) 13.16, Leila Hurst (HAW) 12.60, Pauline Ado (FRA) 10.00
Round 4: Sally Fitzgibbons (AUS) 8.67, Tatiana Weston-Webb (HAW) 7.87, Alessa Quizon (HAW) 2.23
Round 5: Stephanie Gilmore (AUS) 15.77, Coco Ho (HAW) 12.50, Alana Blanchard (HAW) 6.57
Round 6: Lakey Peterson (USA) 14.70, Nikki Van Dijk (AUS) 12.84, Bianca Buitendag (ZAF) 8.00
VANS US OPEN OF SURFING WOMEN'S ROUND 2 MATCH-UPS:
Round 1: Alessa Quizon (HAW) vs. Johanne Defay (FRA)
Round 2: Coco Ho (HAW) vs. Paige Hareb (NZL)
Round 3: Malia Manuel (HAW) vs. Leila Hurst (HAW)
Round 4: Bianca Buitendag (ZAF) vs. Tatiana Weston-Webb (HAW)
Round 5: Laura Enever (AUS) vs. Alana Blanchard (HAW)
Round 6: Pauline Ado (FRA) vs. Nikki Van Dijk (AUS)
VANS US OPEN OF SURFING MEN'S ROUND 1 RESULTS:
Heat 19: Garrett Parkes (AUS) 16.16, Jadson Andre (BRA) 15.00, Damien Hobgood (USA) 12.80, Torrey Meister (HAW) 12.10
Heat 20: Bede Durbidge (AUS) 13.23, Jake Halstead (USA) 11.16, Caio Ibelli (BRA) 10.83, Nathan Hedge (AUS) 7.67
Heat 21: Mason Ho (HAW) 13.27, Sebastian Zietz (HAW) 13.06, Billy Stairmand (NZL) 11.94, Vicente Romero (ESP) 10.33
Heat 22: Peterson Crisanto (BRA) 15.04, Hizunome Bettero (BRA) 12.26, Adrian Buchan (AUS) 11.73, Brian Toth (PRI) 7.43
Heat 23: Brett Simpson (USA) 14.50, Ryan Callinan (AUS) 12.10, Hodei Collazo (EUK) 9.60, Mitch Coleborn (AUS) 7.60
Heat 24: Kolohe Andino (USA) 15.27, Santiago Muniz (ARG) 12.17, Stu Kennedy (AUS) 10.47, Jay Thompson (AUS) 9.13
VANS US OPEN OF SURFING MEN'S ROUND 2 RESULTS:
Heat 1: Josh Kerr (AUS) 13.34, Tim Reyes (USA) 13.33, Thiago Camarao (BRA) 11.20, Tom Whitaker (AUS) 9.94
Heat 2: Beyrick De Vries (ZAF) 16.40, Mitch Crews (AUS) 13.34, Nathan Yeomans (USA) 10.53, Miguel Pupo (BRA) 8.00
Heat 3: Willian Cardoso (BRA) 17.20, Maxime Huscenot (FRA), C.J. Hobgood (USA) 11.16, Tanner Gudauskas (USA) 9.84
Heat 4: Jordy Smith (ZAF) 14.66, Aritz Aranburu (EUK) 12.30, Joan Duru (FRA) 12.17, Ezekiel Lau (HAW) 9.53
Heat 5: Charles Martin (GLP) 13.64, Bino Lopes (BRA) 13.33, Wiggolly Dantas (BRA) 11.60, Vincent Duvignac (FRA) 10.60
Heat 6: Keanu Asing (HAW) 12.34, Adam Melling (AUS) 11.56, Gavin Gillette (HAW) 10.66, Perth Standlick (AUS) 9.83
UPCOMING VANS US OPEN OF SURFING MEN'S ROUND 2 MATCH-UPS:
Heat 7: Cory Arrambide (USA), Matt Banting (AUS), Dane Reynolds (USA), Filipe Toledo (BRA)
Heat 8: Carlos Munoz (CRI), Alex Ribeiro (BRA), Michael Dunphy (USA), Jonathan Gonzalez (CNY)
Heat 9: Kanoa Igarashi (USA), Travis Logie (ZAF), Jadson Andre (BRA), Jake Halstead (USA)
Heat 10: Bede Durbidge (AUS), Garrett Parkes (AUS), Granger Larsen (HAW), Julian Wilson (AUS)
Heat 11: Mason Ho (HAW), Peterson Crisanto (BRA), Ryan Callinan (AUS), Santiago Muniz (ARG)
Heat 12: Kolohe Andino (USA), Brett Simpson (USA), Hizunome Bettero (BRA), Sebastian Zietz (HAW)