Huntington Beach Then & Now: A 1914 Downtown Readies For The Fourth Of July

THEN // Happy 4th of July in Huntington Beach, circa 1914, the year of the brand new concrete pier. The (presumably) red, white and blue bunting has been hung, and the local ladies are dressed in their finest long skirts, blouses and festive hats. The Pointsetta Arts Store is set up at Main to the right of Snyder's Photo Studio, and just beyond that is the brick building that housed Vincent's Corner Confectionery. It was owned by Ervin L. Vincent, the town marshall.

NOW // As the city prepares for the July 4th celebration about 100 years later, things are a bit different. Nothing remains from the past, and a quaint seaside town has morphed into a mega-tourist destination that will host about 500,000 visitors in just a few days. You think anyone imagined this back then…?

"Huntington Beach Then & Now" is a weekly HB evolution series inspired by HB-based author Chris Epting's 2007 book "Huntington Beach (CA) (Then & Now)." 

Related

More "Then & Now"

Maps: Huntington Beach Fourth Of July Parade, Road Closures And Parking

Photos: Huntington Beach Paints The Town Red (White And Blue)

Watertable's Bar Jars Make For The Best $5 Treats In Town

Photos: Huntington Beach Paints The Town Red (White And Blue)

0