Surf's up for paddling pups in Huntington Beach! The fifth annual Surf City Surf Dog weekend will soon take over HB, keeping downtown on its toes and paws.
Dedicated to surf- and sand-loving canines, the three-day poochfest starts Friday, September 27, with opening ceremonies, a "yappy hour" and a fashion show at the pet-friendly Shorebreak Hotel. A $10 donation is suggested. On Saturday, September 28, The Strand will host a two-day Eukanuba Expo, costume and dog owner look-alike contests and a little downward dog action in a free DOGA sesh (yes, that's short for dog yoga). The contests cost $15 or $20 total. All events require registration, which can be done online or by emailing Lisa Scolman at email@example.com.
The real action heats up Sunday, September 29, when the hounds hang twenty in the five-hour surf competition at Huntington Dog Beach. Participating salty dogs will be split into four weight divisions (extra large, large, medium and small), judged on various skills and compete in a tandem heat. Registration for the surfing competition costs $50. Leashed canines and their humans may spectate and cheerlead for free and are encouraged to study our lessons in Dog Beach etiquette.
Here's a look at the full event schedule:
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 27: SHOREBREAK HOTEL
- 6 p.m.: Opening Ceremonies & Yappy Hour
- 6:30 p.m.: Dog is Beachin' Fashion Show presented by Dog is Good
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 28: THE STRAND
- 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.: Eukanuba 2-Day Expo
- 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.: Complimentary DOGA (Dog Yoga)
- Noon to 1 p.m.: Frosty Paws Canine Costume and Owner Look-Alike contests
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 29: HUNTINGTON DOG BEACH
- 7:30 a.m.: Surf Dog registration opens
- 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.: Surf Dog competition heats presented by Surf Dog's Sports Grill
- 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.: Eukanuba 2-Day Expo
- 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.: Sony Puppy Cam Experience
- 1:30 to 4 p.m.: The Sony Awards and Closing Ceremonies
A portion of the event entry fees will benefit six local charities, including Barks of Love, Southern California Golden Retriever Rescue, Southern California Bulldog Rescue, Huntington Dog Beach, Orange County Humane Society and Westie Rescue of Orange County & Beyond.
Scolman called HB "the PAWfect venue for the popular sport of dog surfing" in a release, and we couldn't agree more.